On Wednesday, February 16, 2022, the activities of the regional symposium were launched to present the results of the second phase of the project “Women’s Human Rights, Illuminating Signs in the Judgments of the Arab Judiciary”, implemented by the Arab Women’s Organization in cooperation with the UNWomen and the Japanese Embassy in Cairo. The seminar, which was held via Zoom, lasted for two days (February 16-17, 2022). Dr. Fadia Kiwan indicated that this great work monitors the enlightened judicial rulings issued against women in the countries participating in the project, noting that this work is a complementary phase to the first phase of the project and covers 10 years (the period 2010 to 2020), while the first phase covered 20 years in the period 1990-2010.
Judge Samia Doula, the main coordinator of the project reviewed the desired goals of the project, which were:
- to monitor the provisions devoted to the best judicial practices related to the protection of women’s human rights in Arab countries that are members of the Arab Women Organization;
- to stimulate the initiative of Arab judges to devise new judicial jurisprudence that responds to the requirements of Arab women’s equity in the enjoyment of their rights;
- to urge judges to re-apply these luminous jurisprudence whenever the facts are identical in the cases presented to them later,
- to promote the electronic periodic publication of Arab judicial jurisprudence supporting women’s human rights.
- to raise awareness of women’s human rights among law enforcement officials and judicial bodies,
- To urge both researchers and jurists to study and analyze judicial rulings related to women’s rights from a human rights perspective,
- To reduce the gap between the provisions of legislation related to women’s human rights and the reality of their application by the Arab judiciary,
- To spread the culture of women’s human rights on the widest scale using modern communication technologies.
She indicated that 11 Arab countries participated in the implementation of this project: (Jordan – Tunisia – Algeria – Iraq – Libya – Oman – Palestine – Lebanon – Egypt – Morocco – Mauritania).