About the Coalition
The coalition is an independent official organization established in December 2014, with the support of the Westminster Foundation for Democracy, formed by Members of Parliaments from both legislative chambers of different Arab countries that believe in combating violence against women.
Consensus exists within the coalition around the need for better and more comprehensive legislation and services to protect women from Violence in the MENA region.
10 Arab countries are members in this coalition:
(Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan, Tunisia, Morocco, Palestine, Iraq, Djibouti, Sudan, Bahrain, Algeria)
The Coalition is considered the first initiative of its kind that gathers women MPs from Arab countries to pursue reforms and legislation that will promote and protect women’s rights, in particular to combat violence against women.
HRH Princess Basma bint Talal, The Head of The Jordanian National Commission for Women, is the honorary chairperson of the Coalition. The Coalition has the privilege of the membership of a large number of MPs from different Arab countries. As well it has the privilege of the honorary membership of men. Eng. Atef Tarawneh, the Speaker of the Jordanian House of Representatives, was selected as the first honorary member for the coalition. He has shown his support to the Coalition by offering an office space for the Coalition inside the Jordanian parliament.
200 members from different Arab countries signed for the membership of the Coalition, from Iraq, Jordan, and Lebanon in particular. The Coalition attracted a great attention from civil society organizations, which can join the Coalition as supporting members.
مذكرة احتجاج في خضم الصراع الراهن والمحموم في العراق تمهيدا لانتخابات مجلس النواب في الثاني عشر من شهر مايس المقبل، تشهد الحملة الانتخابية العراقية اساليب جديدة في التسقيط السياسي والتنكيل الاجتماعي لعدد من المرشحات جرى تداولها عبر شبكات التواصل الاجتماعي، وتتعلق باستهد... Read more
- Improving the effective implementation of Gender Based Violence Legislation in the Arab Region
- National Roundtable “From Ministerial Conclusions to Gender Equality Policy Making in the Euro-Med Region”, Jordan, April 2017
- (The Regional Conference (Towards Cancelling the Articles that Discharge the Rapistfrom Penalty in Penal Codes in the Arab Countries
- New Redeployment of Positions at the Coalition
- “The Coalition launches its regional conference”toward a Convention to Combat Violence Against Women in the Arab region